daily paintings in oil, acrylic, and watercolor
relief and serigraph printmaking

Monday, February 2, 2015

Pet Portrait

Thought I would show the progression of a pet portrait that I am working on. From photos provided by the client I first worked up a pencil sketch.

I added a background from another photo from the client.
I then transferred the sketch to an 11x14 inch canvas panel and started on a light wash of burnt umber oil paint, thinned to a consistency of watercolor. This is the stage where I will work out values, shadows and composition.

The next post will be the application of color.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks wonderful so far! I do pet portraits too! I love painting animals.
    Is this a commissioned portrait, or one of your own pets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. VJ, this is a commissioned piece. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete